Sunday, July 20, 2008

Thursday, July 17

A few "lost in translation" notable phenomena:
1. I often overhear under-the-breath mumbles in Spanish and involuntarily translate them into the most preposterous English phrases before it occurs to me that a)this person does not speak English and b) Even if it were English I would never assume that these particular absurdities had been uttered.
For instance, earlier there were some briefly confounded moments in which I was sure I had just passed by my three year old sister singing "Take me to the River" by the Talking Heads.

2.Things about me that are considered oddities by my own countrymen are here taken for the aberrations of a foreigner--for example, the tenacity of my phlegm which hangs on for months after my colds, my voracious appetite, my membership in a cheese club, etc.

3. I always have to clarify that I'm not necessarily exemplary of where I live in many respects--for instance, when I am probed about my religion or what foods I eat, in conjunction with certain queries about North Carolina or the Southern US, I often wonder whether it would be easier to just classify myself as a barbecue and slaw-eating evangelical.

I'm feeling great tonight. My chest is filled with garlic gas, which I'm really enjoying the effects of. I'm clean for the first time in a while, I just received numerous cackle-out-loud-to-an-embarrassing-extent emails, and Sara and Gabriel have returned early!

First I'll write about Sara and Gabriel because that's the freshest in my mind. I got home late from work and they were waiting on the sofa to receive me. Sara's hair looked different and I had so much to tell and ask and languages to choose from that a sort of plug formed and everything leaked out in slow motion for a little while until we really got to talking in my room. We chose English (thank you Gabriel) although I kept involuntarily saying "" in this incredibly hideous English accent. I had intentionally not read Sara's blog so that I could hear about it all in person (although now I have and it's fascinating and I urge everyone to check it out at http://www.saraisbeautiful.blogspot.com.) As it turns out, they were working with an older, spunky couple that Gabriel knows from Idaho who do work with a preventative health care NGO in extremely remote and isolated mountain villages. While Sara and Gabriel were there, the focus was epilepsy and stove construction (two themes in the world of health care that are surprisingly pressing and connected!)

I felt bad for a little while that i hadn't gotten to go with them and experience this, but we all, in our various wisdom, ended up talking about techniques, experiences, psychological norms, and difficulties of being in new places and trying to make a difference. The conversation flowed well with much of my recent introspective--except it seemed less self-centered to hear it all from the mouths of these lovely, wise creatures.

Conocoto was nice today. The relatively privileged kids had to do some manual labor in the carpentry workshop, which i thought was mighty good for the soul. Julia, Andrea and I made it to Casa Amigos, where I felt a welcome surge of happiness to see Katya and Inés and Wendy, etc. The kite project went well with this group, although I realize I've been teaching it partly wrong.

Its nice talking to Antonio on the bus ride home. Apparently since he's arrived at the foundation, the teachers have really started working on teaching values to both the kids and the mothers because so much of the basic behavior that they learn in their homes is really detrimental to a life in society- demanding, cursing, violence, etc. I realized more and more how much these kids need--and also how much they are really getting--help in certain areas. I don't always realize this because I don't see them in their home situations and there has been a lot of improvement by this point. That's why Antonio is my blessed window of insight.

Its amazing the mounting lump of things I miss from my every-day home life. Although to some extent it is more craving than specifically missing.

Tomorrow a TV channel is coming to Casa Amigos, but I think I might be going out for Gabriel's birthday, instead.

No comments: