Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sauturday, July 19

Newly-independent Sara (who just moved into her classy apartment) is over for a visit.

We're the only ones here--the family's out and about on weekend excursions (that I left early to meet up with sara). I had another one of those "i'm really living here" surges as I bustled about, playing hostess and getting the tea and afternoon snack prepared. Now she's tapping away on the keyboard while I write in my journal.

This morning was a slapstick boating incident of comic proportions! Azucena, the girls and I took a bus to a nearby park with all these artificial waterways and fountains and cute stone bridges. For a small sum each half hour we rented this small white canoe-like contraption that was powered by foot pedals and steered with a joystick. Azucena and I had yet to master the maneuvering capabilities of this boat when we came upon a huge arc of water.

Azucena and I got the same quixotic gleam in our eyes and decided we could easily steer ourselves under the waterless middle of the arc. At this point, the water pressure changed (or at least that's our excuse) because all of a sudden we were being drenched and all we could do was peddle on at the boat's snail pace as the girls began screaming and crying . I had to shield my eyes from the pummeling water and grab sophia to keep her from hurling herself from the boat in distress. After that, we walked around and bought chicken and caught taxis with our stiff wet-leg awkward gait and two crying girls (who luckily had a change of clothes).

Now I'm off to another birthday bash for Gabriel at some "hip college hang-out bar."

No comments: