Sunday, July 6, 2008

First Day of Volunteering July 3

10:40 PM
Today (like many days here) was sort of roller-coastery emotion wise. No--that's misleading, because it was a milder spectrum than roller coaster suggests--think of the ups and downs more like the experience of a bug crawling along a camel's back.
Mornings are always nice. I usually wake up to Max-saturated emails. The bus ride to the foundation in the south was successful--I think I'm ready to attempt it alone. From the time I got there till about 2:30 or three, I felt a bit stagnant, especially during lunchtime for staff. This happens often where the combination of eating and not understanding a word of the extra-rapid lunch time chatter puts me in a bit of a lonely, sleepy stupor. Then, in this half-stupor, I suddenly have to concern myself with not looking quite as soggy as I feel. Like I've said before, I don't really mind these bad spells too much. From what I understand they're pretty normal for travelers immersed in a foreign culture and language away from those they love. All in all, I think they're rather healthy. It's good to...what's that sports coach cliché?--"come out of the comfort zone"--in order to be forced to philosophize on happiness, and also to learn how to inspire oneself out of slumps. I certainly appreciate home more than ever-- not just for the "luxuries" or "opportunities"of our country, but just for the very idea of home--of family comfort and deep-root connections and common bonds. It's odd- I've found myself nostalgic for really random things (some of which hardly even pertain to my day-to day life in the states)--like the Washington DC subway system.

Actually, with regards to feeling stagnant today, I take some of it back. From 10:30 to about 12, I worked with a few of the staff kids, and they were great! These really profound ten years olds were talking about injustice and Che Guevara and and wealth disparities and border disputes! After lunch things go t much better. Many more kids came, and as they were doing various crafts, I made a couple of great bonds with some girls who (after class) clutched me by each arm and giddily brought me up on the roof of one of the center's buildings. I drew the face/vase optical illusion and some kids had fun pondering it.

Lovely Antonio, an older man, and one of the many people who has been taking ridiculously good care of me, accompanied me back on the bus. When not being a science professor, he's teaching teachers how to teach science (just like dad!). Back "home" I snuggled in bed with mi madre and the girls and watched some weird cartoon where these dinosaurs did hula dancing. Then Azucena and I drank hot chocolate, talked, and laughed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds so beautiful, and a little surreal! Glad you're having a good time!
<3 Eli

P.S.
I found your recorder, today!